Remember the good old days when a ball (of any kind, even one made with an old, stuffed sock) could provide an endless hours and variety of games to kids on a summer’s afternoon? Well, those days are back!
Introducing Sphero 2.0 – the world’s first robotic ball gaming system that you control with a tilt, touch, or swing from your smartphone or tablet. It’s the ball evolved! Roll it, race it, or challenge yourself with Drive, Golf and more. Your experience changes with every new app – you can even use Sphero as a controller for on-screen gameplay.
Using Bluetooth Technology, the Sphero is compatible with your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android device and can be played as quickly as you can download a gaming app. This Robotic ball has a range of up to 50 foot and can reach speeds of up to 3 feet per second – it even charges hassle-free in an induction cradle, just plop it in and hey presto! So how much tech can you fit in a 3 inch ball? A lot!
Here’s the scientific bit – start with a sensor network – multi-axis rate gyro and accelerometer – fused it together with the same kind of math that allowed NASA to take Apollo to the Moon. Power it with lithium polymer batteries that are inductively recharged through the shell and add a Bluetooth-based command and control data link. Finally, mix in over-the-air firmware updates and internally sandboxed language extensions and you have a true robot that is an intelligent component of a smartphone app-based gaming, learning, and human-machine interaction system.
There are over 25 Apps already available and more in the pipeline, plus with the open API all you clever coders out there can actually make your own games, meaning the fun’s just beginning.
- Sphero 2.0 Robotic Ball is Bluetooth controlled.
- 3 times brighter than Sphero Original.
- Range of approximately 50 feet.
- 2 ramps included for instant fun.
- Multiple LED capable of producing thousands of colours.
- Induction charging batteries.
- Opaque high-impact polycarbonate shell.
- 3 speeds – cautious, comfy and crazy.
- Waterproof – can be used in water, and easily cleaned – so off-road is fine too.
- Requires iOS 4.0 or greater iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPhone 5, 4S, 4, and 3GS.
- Works with all generations of iPad.
- Android devices with operating system 2.2, 2.3.3+ and 3.0+ For confirmation check http://store.gosphero.com/compatibility.
- iPhone not included. Apps require downloading separately.
- The included lithium batteries are rechargeable via the induction pad.
- A complete charge takes about three hours and provides approximately 75 minutes of continuous driving time.
- Measures approximately 7.5cm(Ø).
- Weighs approximately 168g.